• I was a shareholder of Core Mining Minerals and had 46% shareholding and 54% was in the hands of foreigners.
• Former Mines Minister Hon Dr OM Mpofu asked for a $10mln bribe for a license to mine diamonds in Chiadzwa
• Core Mining Minerals was allowed to mine between December 2009 to November 2010. We were not allowed to sell but stockpile the diamonds
• We produced 1 717 174 carats of diamonds in the same period. These were worth $15mln. 20% were clean gems
• I advised Government to nationalise Chiadzwa diamond field because it was too rich to be exploited by private companies
• Core Mining Minerals was supposed to invest $1bn in the Chiadzwa fields
• I reported Hon. Mpofu to the former Pres.R. G. Mugabe but was arrested on allegations that I lied to the Minister that there was a company that was supposed to invest $2bln. I feel Hon. Mpofu wanted to fix me for not paying the $10mln bribe
• Hon OM Mpofu instructed miner Carnadile, ZMDC and MMCZ to pay a total amount of $600 000 to lawyer Farai Mutamangira. Then ZMDC Chairman Goodwill Masimirembwa instructed Carnadile to pay another $300 000 to the lawyer. Farai Mutamangira was representing the Ministry of Mines and ZMDC
• I have no hope in the new dispensation because it continues to have Dr Mpofu as Minister but ZANU PF will self cleanse, I now believe why this is being allowed to happen.
• The proposed joint venture between Core Mining, ZMDC’s Carnadile Mine was ordered to pay $300k for unclear legal processes
Hon Mliswa: Was Pres Mugabe corrupt?
• Yes President Mugabe was very corrupt.
• Diamond business was a one man (Mpofu) event. He even appointed Carnadile board members and the board members were inexperienced in diamond business
• From the way Mugabe defended corruption I think he was also corrupt, I even wrote letters to him but he ddnt respond
Upon being asked whether Zimbabwe lost $15bln in diamonds
• More than that could have been lost, if one considers that diamonds started leaving the Chiadzwa area many years before 1980. It is not known how much was lost after the formal mining began in 2006. In the first days you could pick surface diamonds.
• The Minister and Permanent Secretary are always busy. I have not had a chance to meet them about the Diamond Centre
• We run a diamond school but we struggled to get diamonds from MMCZ to train students. The Minister instead flew all the way to China and sent 10000 carats to a diamond school there
• How do you give licences to diamond cutting companies but don’t guarantee them a supply of diamonds? Why are we sending diamonds to other countries?
• It is not a good idea for Zimbabwe to cut and polish their diamonds in Botswana
Lovemore Kurotwi is done giving oral evidence and Hon Dr Mpofu is next